When the Mindoro College, now Divine Word College of Calapan (DWCC) was established in 1946, the library occupied one room at the ground floor of the Bishop’s residence, adjacent to the Cathedral. Then in 1953, it was transferred to another building vacated by the Holy Infant Academy which was also located in the same compound. A librarian took charge of the library with 6,000 volumes of books.
Since 1965, the library has been occupying the left wing of the second floor of the main building in the present site of DWCC.
From 9,000 volumes, the collection of books had increased to 26,000, plus other non-book materials and periodicals. The members of the staff increased in size too. The library has a total floor area of 636.25sq.m. and has a seating capacity of 200 readers at a time.
In line with the DWCC’s mission statement, the objectives of the library are: a) to provide library materials for instructional purposes, b) to support the academic needs of the curricula of DWCC, c) to provide opportunities for independent learning beyond the course offerings, d) to encourage and guide the students to use the library resources effectively and e) to develop library collection in terms of needs.
The main goal of the library is to see to it that optimum use of its collection is made. It tries to lead each reader as directly as possible to the needed materials. To achieve this goal, subject control to the collection is applied by classification of systematic arrangement by subject. Books are arranged on the shelves according to Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC).
|MS. LINA C. GUBGOBAN|
In-Charge, Technical Services Section
MS. NATIVIDAD R. TEMPLANZA
In-Charge, Graduate School Section
MISS MERLY M. SARABIA
In-Charge, Reference Section & Archives
MISS JOSEFINA M. CANTOS
In-Charge, Engineering & Computer Science Section
MR. ERNESTO M. MANGARING
In-Charge, Circulation & Accounting Section
MR. MANNY L. ANDASAN
In-Charge, Filipiniana Section
MR. ROBERTO R. ZAMORA
Divine Word College of Calapan website
Pictures taken before the OMLA induction last June 4, 2008.